Thursday, May 5, 2011

Grumpy Coyote Tunes || Buckets of Rain (Challenged & Won)

Grumpy Coyote took me up on the challenge to play Bob Dylan's Buckets of Rain on the Baritone Ukulele. I was trying to come up arrangement through studying the various guitar tutorials. But he has put together an awesome version in a very short period of time. The guitar tutorials that I sited in a previous post were in "Dropped D Tuning" and the Bari would've ended up D-F#-A-D but Grumpy has worked out his arrangement in another tuning: Open E = E-G#-B-E which is two steps higher. Thanks GC! (Dropped D / Open E uh-oh!)

His DonMo resonator baritone ukulele is a beauty. It seems the explosion of musicality that has come from the ukulele's popularity is opening up a variety of music and experimentation with other instruments. Who could have imagined a reso-bari-uke ten years ago? Check out these photos of a sold DMRBU from Elderly Instruments. It was listed at US$925.

Grumpy says he's only worked on the song for a short while but it sounds great. The more I listen to experienced players the more I feel that I've got a long way to go. Luckily, the there's a lot of fun strumming along the way. In the meantime, I will be studying Grumpy's video and see what knowledge I can glean from it.

1 comment:

  1. You don't have a long way to go, Jeff. You don't have a short way to go, either. You're already there, always have been, and always will be. Just when would you have decided that you had arrived, anyway? Ever?

    ReplyDelete