Tuesday, November 30, 2010

GUIDO'S RESONATOR BARITONE UKULELE


Guido Introduces "Douglas"

"OK, I guess I should give you some Information about my Resonator Baritone: It was made by a guy in Britain, called Gary. After an accident he couldn't play the guitar anymore, so he started to build small 4 string instruments that he still can play and he tried to get as close as possible to the sound of a steelstring guitar... The body of the uke is made of birch plywood, neck is solid Maple, all handmade. He also spun the cone by himself. It's a 7" cone, which is rather unique. Gary told me once that there have been more people on the moon than people with a 7" resonator in their instruments! The scale is 21" and it is equipped with Martin steelstrings. The sound is typical resonator and it is LOUD. The loudest uke I've ever heard, including banjoleles. One thing to consider is that the uke has to be warmed up. I'm not quite sure, but I guess the selfmade cone may be not as thin as the factory made. It takes about 15 minutes until the cone is really warm and starts to sing. I guess that's something you have to live with, when playing a unique Instrument. When I posted a picture of this uke in the German Ukulele Club, a guy wrote that it looks like somebody sprayed "Life, the Universe and Everything" on the Body. Therefore I named the Uke "Douglas", although instruments usually have female names. I've attached a colored picture also, so that you know what I'm talking about."

Thanks Guido!

3 comments:

  1. Guido -- I don't understand how the name Douglas ties into "Life & the Universe." What do you mean? The paint job does look like you're looking out into the cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jeffrey: "Life, the Universe and Everything" is one of my favourite books, written by DOUGLAS Adams ;-) And I have to say, in real the colours don't look as bright as on the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guido. Just stumbled across your page and had to say hi as I also have one of Gary's creations! Mine's not got a funky paint job like yours but it's still an interesting instrument. You're right about them being loud too, it sounds huge.
    Happy strumming! Nic.

    ReplyDelete