Monday, March 2, 2020

Ken Franklin Luthier (CCMC Winter 2020)

I attended the California Coast Music Winter Camp for  the first time this year. Some people have been going for about 30 years. CCMC is a music camp mainly for string instrument players but there were some other instrumentalists: accordian, flute, keyboards, and clarinet.

To me, this was a fun weekend to explore a smorgasbord of music: Jazz, Swing, Country, Rock, Irish, Old-Time, Jug Band and Beatles. There is so much talent gathered that the music feels so full.

I had a chance to hang out with an old acquaintance from past CCMC July camps named Ken Franklin. He's a Northern California Luthier and he brought a beautiful baritone ukulele that he made. I had the chance to play it and it was of excellent craftsmanship and great tone. He has a sound hole on the small bout facing upward. I love the dual wood Ken Franklin special headstock design.

See more of Ken's work here, https://franklinguitars.com/Site/Ken_Franklin.html

In the group of about 120 players I came across two other bari-uke players and a third if you count Ken and his baritone.

Ken and I took a guitar class from Wayne Henderson about 5 years ago now. I actually took my bari to that week long class. I had to take videos at the end of class and study each of the (5) songs for a couple of hours to soak it all in. Wayne teaches by playing short excerpts and then combining them and asking the students to play and repeat. It's challenging and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment