Saturday, March 22, 2014

ROGER RUTHEN || USING A PLECTRUM

Roger Ruthen, from south-eastern Australia, is a big contributor to the baritone ukulele community. As far as I know pdf-Minstrel is the biggest site, of a very few around the world, that is making regular contributions to the baritone ukulele. Every once in a while Roger has a point that he'd like to share on Humble Baritonics. I'm always glad to share his opinions because I want to share the widest variety of information possible to you the everyday reader.

Here's what Roger has to share...

 "I have played all sizes of ukulele for many years in most tunings. My favourite ukulele is the Baritone Uke, and my favourite way of playing is with a hard plectrum. I have written the transcriptions specifically to be played with a plectrum, although they can be easily played fingerstyle. Out of all the ukes, I find that the Baritone Uke has the greatest volume and sustain, having said that it is nowhere comparable to a classical guitar. This is why I use a pick on the shorter string length of the Baritone uke. The fingernails do not give as wide a range of volume or tone that the plectrum can give with proper technique. Good technique also eliminates string buzz when the plastic plectrum come into contact with the baritone ukulele strings by playing through the string at the correct angle.

I have published many Baritone Ukulele chord/melody arrangements on Pdf-Minstrel suitable for plectrum and can be found at:


I now have several genres of tabs for the plectrum 'Bari.' such as Flatpicking Melodies, Hymns, Cantatas, Classical and Traditional. I would encourage all Baritone Ukulele players to try playing with a plectrum, especially those that have previously played a guitar with a plectrum. There is no doubt that it is harder to play with a plectrum than playing with your fingers, but with perseverance you will increase your volume and speed of attack better than that can achieved by fingers alone.

I hope you enjoy the arrangements. – Roger Ruthen"


1 comment:

  1. I just noticed that Roger Ruthen's Tri Tabs are gone! No longer on his minstrel site! Do you know anyway to contact him? I would be willing to buy them from him. They were very fine arrangements!

    ReplyDelete