Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rujulus || Lili Marleen on a 3-String Baritone Ukulele (Tuning?)

This is perhaps the most unusual tuning that I have come across for the baritone ukulele. I believe that the first string and tuner were removed intentionally. Rujulus writes,
"I always tune my uke in 4ths, like the bassest 3 strings of a guitar. In this vid it was G# - C# - F#, but after putting this vid up, I loosened the strings to G - C - F. Easier on strings for storage but still playable. Since I usually play alone, I find it easy not to worry much about the actual key & always in my mind think of the strings as E - A - D."

[I do have a 3-string balalaika that I tuned C-E-A to match standard ukulele tuning. I found several balalaika tunings on this Get-Tuned site. The most common is the prima balalaiki is normally tuned E-E-A and those E's are identical.]

I thought about creating a chord chart using only the DGB strings, and then the GBE strings as an exercise to learn more about the baritone ukulele. I have started and will share when I have something worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment