Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Original Greeno || I'm On Fire (B Springsteen cover on Bari-Uke)


OG from Scotland sez, "More of an interpretation than a cover, I've had a lot of fun playing this. A slightly jollier version than the original - I hope I haven't taken too many liberties. I dropped a few of the C#m chords in favour of A and B because I preferred the way they sound. And I have taken a real liberty with the ending, which bears no relationship to the original. After weeks of indecision I've decided to upload this despite the rather annoying wardrobe malfunction! (Bloody button-up flies! Sorry.) I tried to re-record it but it was never as good as this version.

This song was either slightly too high or too low for my limited range. I couldn't transpose it because then I couldn't use the A and B chords in the way I do, which - I think - sound good here. And I couldn't use a capo because the 12th fret is as far as I can go on this ukulele and I wouldn't have been able to play the ending I have used. The only other option was to de-tune the uke and that's just a step too far! So I opted to sing it high.

I'm using a cheap Richwood Baritone "Ukulele" (UK-250-B) which I was given because it was broken (repair details here: http://tinyurl.com/ncpuqb). I believe this is identical to the Mahalo Baritone. It doesn't sound bad but I consider this to be a small guitar with 4 strings rather than a ukulele. I didn't like it when I first got it going but I'm coming round to it now. It seems like a pretty good instrument for the money."

No comments:

Post a Comment