Monday, June 27, 2011

Mando Island || Staten Island Slide

Michael from the Mando Island portion of Germany stripped down a children's Brüko guitar because he wanted to play this tune.


Dominic has posted GCEA TAB for Craig Robertson's arrangement. I will be trying it on the Bari and giving it a go as transcribed to see how it sounds.

(6-28-2011 Add) Although the video above is interesting from a Bari-Uke view point, the fingerings do not match the TAB. So here's the Dominator playing the Staten Island Slide (GCEA) . . .

4 comments:

  1. Nice. But what's that part at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Craig, I am honored to have you cruising the Bari waters. Seen several players playing your arrangement on YT. I play a Low-DGBE Bari and so I may miss some of those good high notes or move the 0--- to --3- to get the higher tone. (Since I have an extra bari or two lying around perhaps I should tune one High-DGBE.) This reminds me a bit of some of John King's arrangements.

    After I saw this video I tried searching for you with a bari on YT. I know your buddy Greg Hawkes plays a mean bari. I have seen Mark O. play at DaSilva's shop about 4 years ago and had a chnace to bring him to the Temple Bar Royal Hawaiian Ukulele Band in Berkeley, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I look over the arrangement and watch Mando Island I see some very different fingerings. Is M.I. in mando tuning? I see him going way up the neck. I think he has also inserted some double stops. Sounds good. Jeff / HU

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only baritone ukulele I have is a Harmony from the 50s. I like it a lot and use it mostly for recording. I used it on this song on my current CD "Perfect Wife". The song is "Goth Girl" (written by Waste of Aces) http://craigrobertson.bandcamp.com/track/goth-girl

    ReplyDelete