Friday, May 20, 2011

Humble Uker || Five Pounds of Possum

Well the moment has FINALLY arrived. Here I am in all of my Humble Ukin' glory. I started playing the uke about 5 years ago and have enjoyed creating music and hanging out with many good people. This IS about as good as it gets for me.

For those of you that are just starting out it takes a several times of getting up there and feeling a bit nervous each time. There is no better place to go than your local uke club for support. I have had my share of duds and flub ups. But there have been a few moments of music making bliss as well. You will notice that I couldn't hear myself very well -- I just had to mosey up close to the mics with my uke and voice. Yes, and sometimes you get up there and screw up -- just let it flow as best you can. Have some fun.


I would also like to tell you uke travelers that there have been numerous people from all around the United States and World that have dropped in for a uke club experience in Berkeley or Santa Cruz. Visitors are welcome and don't be shy if you have a song to share. One of my favorite ukulele experiences is the Burning Uke camp out for 4 days along the Big Sur Plaskett Creek campgrounds and shoreline. It is mid-September each year. (I'll be posting more info as it comes up.) Jeff

[Here's clips of everybody that participated in the open mic night, Part 1 and Part 2. Don't Be Cruel was performed by The UkeAholics live at the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz on April 15, 2010. The band includes Sandor "Ukulele Elvis" Nagyszalanczy, Ukulele Dick and Eric Conly, No pelves were injured during the performance. Sandor puts these snippets together.]

5 comments:

  1. Ket and I need to learn that song! We've been learning to sing and pick mountain songs, and heck if this song dont fit the bill! Ummm, possum gooooood!

    Loved the video, goooood job!

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the performance club! First time at the mic and lived to see another day! Those Santa Cruz folks encouraged me and now I can get up if front of folks and share a song or two...without shaking or missing too many chords! You know there is no turning back now! congrats! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    I am glad you are able to post the entire song. Too bad you had to follow such a miserable act before you...
    I like your singing, playing, and general persona up there. Nice work, pardner.
    Rhan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just exactly what part of Arkansas is Santa Cruz in? I don't rightly recall. Glad you finally let your good old self out, Jeff. Like they say, after you lose integrity, the rest is a piece of cake. Bravo!-------Reg Farnsworth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to finally hear you perform, Jeff. Excellently done!

    ReplyDelete