Saturday, April 23, 2011

Song: Five Pounds of Possum

I performed this song with as much hillbilly enthusiasm as I could muster at last Thursday's Open Mic Nite at the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz. Introduced it as a song of Joy & Jubilation, a Gospel Mountain Classic. There's something about a song with "Sweet Potaters" that is irresistable to me. Here's an acapella version sung by James Hogan


FIVE POUNDS OF POSSUM
Written by Timothy Warren White.
[This song has several verse variations - but this is my favorite.]

Well… [G] My children all are hungry, and [C] my dog needs a [G] bone.
[G] I just got laid off, so I [A7] must be trav’lin' [D7] home.
[G] It’s an hour after [G7] sunset and, [C] much to my [G] delight
[G] There's five pounds of possum in my [D] headlights [G] tonight.
[G] [Turnaround] [G]

CHORUS: =================================================
[G] There's five pounds of possum in my [C] headlights [G] tonight.
[G] If I could run him over every [A7] thing would be [D7] alright.
[G] We'll have some possum [G7] gravy. Oh, [C] what a beautiful [G] sight!
[G] There's five pound of possum in my [D] headlights [G] tonight.
[G] [Finger Doodle] [G]
========================================================

[G] Won't have to kill no chicken, [C] won't have to open no [G] cans.
[G] Just a little bit closer and I'll [A7] have him in my [D7] hands.
[G] I think time has [G7] come to [C] change from dim to [G] bright.
[G] There's five pounds of possum in my [D] headlights [G] tonight.

CHORUS

[G] And we’ll “burrow” some sweet potaters from the [C] farmer’s [G] garden plot.
[G] A couple of tomaters and some [A7] peppers if they’re [D7] hot.
[G] Then we’ll add some [G7] wild onion to [C] give a little [G] bite
[G] To that five pounds of possum in my [D] headlights [G] tonight.
END TAG: [G] To that five pounds of possum on my [D] table [G] tonight!
[G] [Turnaround] [G]
CHORUS
[G] [Turnaround] [G]
[G] [Shave and a hair-cut ending.]

For the turnaround I do...

E -------------------
B --------3----------
G -0-2/4---4\2-0---
D -------------------
......1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +


The Shave and a hair-cut ending was learned from Lil' Rev's 101 Licks for the Ukulele Book from Hal Leonard Music.

E -3-----0----|-2---3---
B ---3-3---3--|-1---0---
G -------------|-2---0---
D -------------|-0---0---
....1 2 + 3 4.....1 2 3 4

2 comments:

  1. Here's another version of the song
    http://youtu.be/SQreXX5LnTA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Tasmania!

    Hey Humble!
    Yes I too am a reclusive ukulele noodler and that seems to be the nature of this gorgeous little beast (the uke i mean). I really liked your rendition of the Possum song and wondered if you could send me the lyrics and chords as I think it would be an appropriate song for Tassie - plenty of roadkill down here! And I know how nervewracking performing live can be, so well done! My channel is youtube/bradfieldization if you're curious, otherwise keep noodling and I hope to hear from you!
    cheers
    Bradfield

    ReplyDelete