Friday, April 8, 2011

Humble Uker Recommendation: Flatpicking Guitar Magazine


Hello Friends:

I am going to recommend one issue of a fantastic magazine for flatpicking guitar. Yes, I said guitar BUT I think there is such high quality instruction that every bari-uke player should have atleast one issue. I have reviewed these before and they are written for guitar but these magazines are only $6 at your fine music store or you can get a yearly subscription and have them mailed to your home with CD's of the songs in them.
  • It is a first class publication, color cover with thicker white pages inside.
  • There are numerous fantastic articles about music and skill developing.
  • This specific issue uses "Fiddle Tunes" as a basis for instruction.
  • The article "An Approach To Fiddle Tunes" is fantastic and I think gives a broad scope of techniques that will give you plenty of information to grow on.
  • I play through the examples using my fingers in the up-down technique that a picker would use but I keep my hands free for strum variations that are common to the ukulele.
  • There are (4) features and (18) articles in (92) pages. [NOTE: In this specific issue the articles are just a variety of flatpicking compositions by a wide array of modern players.]
  • Most of the songs are a bluegrass but the techniques are universal.
  • They have some scales to work on as well.
  • NOTE: Most of the songs are suited for guitar -- therefore I recommend this one issue for you to see if the magazine truly works for you too.
I say $6. That's just $6 and I think you'll find an amazing read. I think that everyone that likes to incorporate some fingerpicking into their playing will enjoy this magazine.

So the details...
FLATPICKING GUITAR MAGAZINE
(published bi-monthly)
Highview Publications
P.O.Box 2160
Pulaski, VA 24301

PHONE: (540) 980-0338
FAX: (540) 980-0557
ORDERS: (800) 413-8296
eMail: highview@flatpick.com
Web Site: http://flatpick.com

(6) Magazines anually for $30
(6) Mags + (6) CD's for $60

And now they have a PODCAST archive.

[Incidentally I have no connection with anyone at this publishing company -- I just share this with those who share my enthusiasm for playing music on the baritone ukulele.]

No comments:

Post a Comment