Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cynthia Nugent || Author, Illustrator, and Baritone Ukulele Player

I have an old post of Cynthia playing a beautiful jazzily chorded song way back in 8/26/10. She has her own blog that has a lot of her children's book illustrations called, NUGENT ART. I raised four kids, the youngest Kyle just turned 21 last month, so I have read and enjoyed my share of children's books. (Perhaps my favorite is the Swedish author and illustrator Sven Nordqvist's Pancake Pie. It has a definite Mad Magazine influence with the small comics in the periphery.)

So I searched Cynthia's blog for ukulele references and found two articles: I Want To Go To The Moon and A Quiet Snow Christmas. In the later, there's a video of Montanan Wylie Gustavson playing either a bari-uke-sized guitar or a 6-string baritone ukulele. Can anyone help me accurately identify this instrument? Here's Wylie's video...


NOTE: Wylie Gustafson is the cowboy behind Yahoos trademark yodel: YA-HOO-OOO! Website

2 comments:

  1. I count six courses so it's a mini-guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is likely a small guitar (or at least its tuned that way)

    If you look at 1:11, you can just see the beginnings of a G chord on the bottom two strings.

    ReplyDelete