Saturday, March 12, 2011

GuitarTabDotCom || Intro to Grateful Dead's Ripple

I am not one who has followed the Grateful Dead but I have come across this song a few times while trying to coax more baritone ukulele videos from YouTube's very limited search engine. This song has a very mellow feel to it and a great intro. So I am going to make an attempt to convert it into a bari-playable one. Here's the Guitar Tab link.

Here's the Guitar Tab dot com Melody Intro for guitar:

e|-------------I----------------I---------------------------|
B|-------------I---0---0--------I---------------------------|
G|-------------I-0---2---0------I----0--0h2-0----0h2-0------|
D|----------0--I------------0-2-I-0h2---------0-2-----0h2-0-|
A|-2---2--3----I----------------I---------------------------|
E|---3-------3-I----------------I---------------------------|
-
e|------------I-------------I---------------I---------------|
B|------------I---0---0-----I-----0---0-1---I---------------|
G|------------I-0---2---0---I-0h2----0----2-I------0-2-0----|
D|--------0---I-----------2-I---------------I-0-2-----------|
A|-2--2-3-----I-------------I---------------I---------------|
E|--3-------3-I-------------I---------------I---------------|

Now,since the TAB is almost already entirely on the DGBe strings the modification may be as simple as just adjusting the first BAR of each line. [Remember that the low guitar strings are E and A, which can be played at the second fret of the D and G strings.] I think holding a DGBe=DGBE=5430 while playing the first BAR works well. Try it and see how it sounds to your ear.

BARITONE UKULELE INTRO

E|-------------I----------------I---------------------------|

B|--------3----I---0---0--------I---------------------------|
G|-4--4-5------I-0---2---0------I----0--0h2-0----0h2-0------|
D|--5-------5--I------------0-2-I-0h2---------0-2-----0h2-0-|
-
E|------------I-------------I---------------I---------------|
B|--------3---I---0---0-----I-----0---0-1---I---------------|
G|-4--4-5-----I-0---2---0---I-0h2----0----2-I------0-2-0----|
D|--5-------5-I-----------2-I---------------I-0-2-----------|


Reference videos:

JDarks Ripple Explained

Further studies 3/23/2011
Quoted from YT comments:

"Robert Hunter, wrote this song in 1970 in London in the same afternoon he wrote Brokedown Palace and To Lay Me Down. The song debuted August 18, 1970 at Fillmore West in San Francisco. Like many folk songs, Ripple addresses itself as a song and an instrument of the performers' emotional expression. Several lines throughout the song echo the 23rd Psalm of the Bible."

No comments:

Post a Comment