Thursday, September 30, 2010

WINNER || Worst Blog Name (for a Baritone Ukulele Blog)


I have been amazed with how poorly that I chose my blog names Humble Uker and Humble Baritonics because neither one seems to come up real fast in the various search engines. I think that Humble Baritonics has devoted the most energy to the baritone ukulele. It is a "tweener" instrument which sits between the ukulele and guitar but I have come across many great videos that show the versatility of the bari and the diversity of the bari player.

I put this blog onto the Top 50 Ukulele Sites because I didn't think it was being seen and I wanted to make it continue to grow. It started out somewhere around 126 and now sits at 97 of 130 sites (in the Top 50) and appears to be moving upward -- so there must be some curiousity.

I would like to change this blog a bit and clean it up some. Perhaps I'll update the players list and put it in a page to clear the face of the blog for more sidebar videos. Marvin Falcon's Rhapsody in Blue needs to be somewhere. I also need to add the chordie.com website since it has a plethura of songs, allows one to change to Bari-tuning as well as change keys.

I would like to put some ideas in your head too. If you have a special book or musical insight to share I would be glad to hear about it, especially as it pertains to the Bari. I am also a fan of player pictures and would welcome a jpg/image of readers with their baritone ukuleles. Or even of their band and with their baritone ukes. I have found some good ones of Krista Muir and would like to build the collection and post them here.

EZFolk has links to some of HB posts. I am not sure how they do this but they seem to attach occassional posts into "their" blog. EZ Folk is a great asset to the music community and I appreciate their linkages.

I have also noticed that there's another baritone blog and it seems to have some of my posting on it. I guess I better not complain too much or my buddies in the Ukulele Cosmos are gonna get after me again. BTW Ukulele Cosmos is a fine community site with a lot of good information. (They paid me to say that -- no just kidding! [Really!] -- Allibee had been quite generous when I inquired about her music. But I have been credited with some evil shananigans with the dark side TUKUO players -- whom have slipped into cosmic oblivian.)

I would also like to say that I have picked up the last 4 issues of Acoustic Guitar magazine and since they're an acoustic instrument there are many things that I find readily adaptable to Bari. They also explore and provide music sheets of current, folk and vintage music. Has anybody else looked at these magazines and what do you think?

[Oh, the photo above is of the Doctor and Rose from the BBC's Doctor Who.]

3 comments:

  1. Pish tosh, Jeff. Humble Uker, in particular, is a name that would fit quite nicely on merchandise. T-shirts, for example - Humble Uker is perfect, just come up with a design. If you can, copyright Humble Uker. Then license it out for caps, stickers, clothing, whatever.

    Because 'Humble Uker' applies not just to the blog, but to the person wearing the cap, shirt, it's perfect. I'd buy a Humble Uker cap and shirt. Or an HU cap (Humble Uker might be too many letters). Gary over at Ukulelia has a Ukulelia T-shirt that has a cameo in The Mighty Uke. "Ukulelia' on a shirt/cap is good, but 'Humble Uker' or 'HU' is even better.

    Might be hard to copyright Humble Uker since it could be claimed that it's a generic expession, but maybe if you used a certain font or script that would apply to the blog only, you (and only you) could use it on merchandise.

    Humble Baritonics is another situation altogether...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ RH -- Splish splash there's an alternate theory about these names they're unique enough to stick in your head. A the Pacifica Fog Fest with Wendy last weekend I found a unique green & blue tie-dye shirt and Wendy has been suggesting that I get a logo somehow. I went over to another vendor that was doing air brush art on tees. So I got "Humble Uker" on it in a softball jersey style. I will get a photo in the blog as soon as I can find my digital camera...(ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A suggestion. Blog name aside. Maybe change the yellow-orange font color, instead. Barely legible against the creamy pinky colored background. I vote for black. Great site, regardless.

    ReplyDelete