Thursday, August 5, 2010

Michael Parmenter Custom Baritone



It is a beautiful day in the Bari neighborhood. I see that a good e-friend of mine Michael Parmenter in Canada has completed his luthiery work on some Baritone ukuleles. I don't exactly remember how Michael and I got in touch except for the obvious ukulele connection. I think I have admired his home luthiery and great photo archives for the last two years.
.
Each morning I check out the blog stats and see what has caught the most curiousity and what links may have led to either Humble Uker or Humble Baritonics. To my surprise some links lead back to my friend Michael. I have admired his luthiery and especially some of his ukes which I think have a strickingly handsome medieval look. (I sent an e-mail to the Ohana Rep., Ken Middleton, suggesting that he gets Ohana to check out these medieval uke designs, but alas no reply -- yet.)
.
Michael also writes the ocassional classical tablature and posts it on his Classical Tabs blog. http://ukeclassicaltabs.blogspot.com/ He uses TABLEDIT which is quite a cool program to write music on. I have also bought the musical-tool-program and have found it quite easy to use but full of many "bells-and-whistles" that allow amazing flexibility and notational abilities. TABLEDIT is set up to work with a plethura of instruments, perhaps 50 or more. Check out some of Michaels arrangements they are also in PDF format for easy use.
.
[I was dinking around looking for tabs and found a banjo/violin site that had tabs for several songs. The theme from the Beverly Hillbillies caught my attention. The arrangement was on TABLEDIT for 5 string banjo. But I was able to upload it and change the tablature to Ukulele in about 3 minutes. Note: TABLEDIT is commonly read TAB EDIT.]
.
Be sure to check out more of Michael's uke luthier and music stories on his blog here... http://canuke.blogspot.com/
.
HU/HB/Jeff
p.s. It's quite a beautiful Bari Michael!

1 comment:

  1. Whoaa, Jeff, I'm blushing! There'll be more and different baritones completed over the next few weeks.
    I'm so glad you find TablEdit useful: it was discovering that program that really opened up whole new possibilities for me.

    ReplyDelete